While this plugin is designed to be as easy to use as possible, using your own theme does require WordPress template development knowledge. Any WordPress designer / hobbiest developer should be able to tackle this no problem, however non-technical users may struggle.
If you are looking for a non-technical solution without using a web designer then you may wish to consider using standard WordPress functionality and just adding in our booking engine links. TourCMS booking engine links can be added to any website, regardless of the CMS used.
TourCMS Tour Operator Plugin for WordPress requires WordPress 3.0 or above. If you don't have WordPress installed already it can be download free of charge from wordpress.org.
You will also need a paid TourCMS account, free trial accounts are available which let you load products and test the booking process end to end. The only areas you will not get with a free account are the XML API (which the WordPress plugin requires) and credit card payment gateway integration. Sign up for a free trial account or view TourCMS prices.
Remember: You don't have to use this Plugin, if you already have a WordPress powered website you are happy with you could just add booking engine links to that. If you are building a new site you may want to consider building your site using TourCMS inbuilt template functionality, read more about the options available in our web development overview.
Step 1: Plugin Installation
Installing via WordPress plugin directory (recommended)
To install just head to Plugins > Add New in WordPress Admin and search for TourCMS, locate the plugin and click Install Now, once the plugin is installed click Activate Plugin.
Download the latest version of the plugin from it's WordPress.org page, in WordPress admin head to Plugins > Add New then under the Upload tab browse and upload the zip file, then Activate Plugin
Step 2: Plugin Settings
You should have a new "TourCMS Plugin" entry in the "Settings" section of WordPress Admin, click it now.
The API Settings allow WordPress to connect to TourCMS to retrieve your product information, you will need to enter your Channel ID and API Key, both of which are available in TourCMS if you head to Configuration & Setup > API.
If you don't have a paid TourCMS account yet and just want to test out the WordPress plugin you can use the API credentials for our test Tour Operator account which are as follows:
- Channel ID: 3930
- API Key: 0df0db4dc340
That will give you access to a very basic Tour so that you can see the process is working.
Booking Engine Settings
The TourCMS plugin provides some simple integration with the Booking Engine, this can either be integrated into your templates directly using template hooks (as with our sample theme) or by using the correct shortcodes in your description.
The following settings are available:
- Display Style
- Off - Do not display the booking engine
- Standard Link (Default) - Display a simple link to the booking engine which opens in the same window. The text can be edited (see below).
- Popup Window - Display a link to the booking engine which opens in a new popup window. The text and window size can be edited (see below).
- Iframe - Hook will return an iframe with class bookframe which embeds the first step of the booking process in the page
- Text - The link text for the "Standard Link" and "Popup Window" styles
- Height - Either the height of the "Iframe" or "Popup Window" (whichever is selected), has no effect for "Standard Link" style
- Width - The Width of the "Popup Window", has no effect on the "Iframe" or "Standard Link" styles
For more advanced integration information, see the template hooks page.
Video embedding defaults
Control the default settings for any tour videos displayed using the [vid_embed] shortcode.
The following settings are available:
- Height - Default height for embedded tour videos, override by adding a "height" attribute to the [vid_embed] shortcode
- Width - Default width for embedded tour videos, override by adding a "width" attribute to the [vid_embed] shortcode
- responsive - If set to "on" (default) the embedded videos will resize automatically when combined with a responsive theme
Wordpress downloads and stores various pieces of information about your Tours/Hotels from TourCMS. To keep your website running nice and fast this information is cached and only updated either when you edit the Tour/Hotel in WordPress, or when a certain amount of time has elapsed since the last update.
The Update TourCMS info setting lets you control this behaviour, you can tell WordPress to download the information if it's not been updated for 24 hours, 4 hours, 1 hour or only when you edit the Tour/Hotel. The default is every 4 hours.
Step 3: Theme Installation
While the TourCMS plugin works fine with most themes the TourCMS Twenty Ten child theme provides an improved layout for listing travel products. You must have the Twenty Ten theme installed, there's a good chance you already do as this is the default theme in WordPress 3.0+.
To install just download the theme to your computer, head to the Appearance > Themes page in WordPress Admin and click on the Install Themes tab then upload. Once the theme is installed click Activate.